3D Realms Still Alive, Duke Nukem Forever Still Dead

Posted on May 18, 2009 by
3D Realms Still Alive, Duke Nukem Forever Still Dead

The rollercoaster ride that has become 3D Realms continues. We first reported that 3D Realms was closing down, but as we found out today that just is not the case.

According to a press release, 3D Realms stated that, "Despite rumors and statements to the contrary, 3D Realms has not closed and is not closing. 3DR retains ownership of the Duke Nukem franchise. Due to lack of funding, however, we are saddened to confirm that we let the Duke Nukem Forever development team go on May 6th, while we regroup as a company."

"While 3DR is a much smaller studio now, we will continue to operate as a company and continue to license and co-create games based upon the Duke Nukem franchise."

3D Realms also cleared up a few facts concerning the recent lawsuit Take-Two slapped them with:

"Take-Two never paid 3DR advances or any signing bonus or any other funds related to DNF, up until July 2008, at which time they paid $2.5m in connection with another agreement for an unannounced game," a spokesperson said. "This is the sum total Take-Two has paid 3DR in connection with DNF."

"Take-Two retains publishing rights for the DNF game, although 3DR retains certain rights to sell the game directly to the public. Late last year, 3DR began negotiations with Take-Two to provide funding to complete the DNF game," they said in their statement.

"3DR informed Take-Two that it could not financially afford the changes Take-Two was suggesting and would be forced to release the team if an agreement was not reached."

According to 3D Realms, Take-Two made a last ditch effort to buy out the Duke Nukem Forever team and the entire franchise, but was denied the buy out due to the proposal not offering any upfront money, no guaranteed minimum payment, and no guarantee to actually complete the Duke Nukem Forever title.

So while 3D Realms is still in business, it is much smaller than it once was, and Duke Nukem Forever is still just as dead as it was, and while it is heartbreaking to some (or a sigh of relief) to many to know that Duke Nukem Forever will likely never become a reality, 3D Realms has bigger issues to deal with at the moment. The lawsuit between Take-Two and 3D Realms has just begun, but from the looks of it, the situation will only get messier.

We will keep you posted once we find out anything concerning the future of 3D Realms, the future (if there is one) of the Duke Nukem franchise, and the ongoing lawsuit between Take-Two and 3D Realms.